I'm not sure when the idea started, but at some point at least a year ago, we realised that with both girls being at a school that finished early for summer, and Woo finishing GCSEs, that 2023 would be a good summer to do a big trip.
We try to live sustainably, and one of the biggest impacts for a family is air travel. If you take an average family going on one short haul holiday per year by air - then 1/3 of their carbon footprint is probably from that holiday (very roughly). So we have been trying not to fly. Though as an aside...I do not go about preaching how everyone should stop flying and go by train. Families deserve holidays, and for most destinations, flying is sadly the cheapest way to get there. What I want to see are much more accessible fares for land based travel, swift routes, and that air travel is taxed properly. But until that is the case, I wouldn't blame any family for taking the plane to get away for the summer. We happen to be able to afford this kind of trip and were able to both get our workplaces to agree to us taking 1month off for slow travel, so let's blaze that trail!
Anyway, back to our idea. We had posed to the girls doing a big trip by land. We sat around and talked about the options, and this itinerary came together.
We would travel from Bristol to Greece and back via Venice, Florence, and Paris....
Originally we planned to go on the morning of the 8th with a train at goodness me o clock in the morning to make our Eurostar connection. But train strikes planned for the weekend (and a bonus school strike on the Friday) meant we decided at the last minute to go down to London on the Friday afternoon. (This was probably the most spontaneous we would get).
Our itinerary was:
7th July: take a train to London, stay in a hotel near st Pancras.
8th July: catch the Eurostar to Paris, then a train to Stuttgart, then get on the Nightjet sleeper train. 9th July: arrive in Venice, Italy and stay in an airBnB.
12th July: catch a ferry from Venice to Patras. Stay in a cabin as the journey is nearly 2 full days.
13th July: arrive late into Patras and stay at a hotel
14th July: leave Patras by bus, then train to arrive in Athens, Greece. Stay in a hotel (going to need the aircon and pool).
18th July: take the metro to the airport and hire a car. Drive to Lavrio port and catch a ferry to the island of Kea, Greece. Stay in an airBnB.
25th July: reverse our journey to get back to Patras, Greece. Stay overnight in a hotel.
26th July: take a ferry from Patras to Barri in Italy, stay overnight on the ferry
27th July: arrive in Barri, get breakfast before taking one train all the way up to Florence, Italy. Stay in an airBnB
31st July: leave Florence by train, changing at Milan, and Basel. Arrive late in Paris, France. Stay at an airBnB
3rd August: Leave Paris taking the Eurostar to London, catch the train back to Bristol, UK
Planning the whole thing was quite an effort. There are some helpful websites
Man in Seat 61 being the primary one, but it was quite a puzzle that took months of planning to get the best fares, make sure the legs all worked (the Venice to Patras ferry only sails twice a week and was full on one of the options we could have gone for), make sure we had enough time to appreciate a place, or make our travel connections. But eventually it was done, all planned and booked (sometime in spring) and then... it was time to go....
Friday 7th July
Due to train strikes we had brought the departure date forward to Friday afternoon instead of Saturday morning. We caught a taxi to the train station and waited for our train which was the delayed previous train (if that makes sense...we had a ticket that could get us on any off peak train).
Fortunately an uneventful train journey. We just played cards and ate various leftovers that we had brought with us.
And then we were in London and really on our way!
We checked into our
hotel opposite St Pancras, then M and I had a wander about while the girls settled down to watch mission impossible (no reflection on our journey ahead I'm sure).
We were pleased with the hotel, we stayed at "The Suites" and got upgraded to 2 linked double/twin rooms with a little kitchenette and shared bathroom. The room we had booked had 3 proper beds (1 double, 2 single) so was a proper family room anyway - none of this sofa bed nonsense (no good with most of us being over 6foot). It was really comfy, we realised the underground could be heard through the night, but I found it quite a comforting white noise really. And to top it off... free mini bar in the room! Got the thumbs up from us.
Saturday 8th July.
We had time in the morning to go seek out a decent breakfast (a perk of staying right by the station).We ended up at
Cafe Plaka which was just brilliant. Proper greasy spoon breakfast but with loads of choice on the menu including loads of veggie options. We each had a huge plate of breakfast before wandering back to the hotel to pick up our bags and walk over to St Pancras.
Check in took it's time, but we had plenty to spare so we weren't stressed by that.
Then onto the Eurostar to Paris.
For mine and M's birthdays this year we had joined the girls in getting kindles. This was a bit of tech that went underappreciated for the amount of time I used it, but let me appreciate it now.
I flipping love my kindle. I love real books; I love seeing them stacked up by my bed or in the parlour (neatly arranged). I love wandering to the library and picking something from the recommendation shelf. I love an impulse purchase from a book shop - just the feel and smell of a fresh book. But for a month's worth of reading - not to have to carry that around with you. To be able to slip the Kindle in my bum bag for a journey with a good book ready to go and then decide - "nah, I'm not feeling this one - what else shall I read?" - that was priceless.
From Paris Gare Du Nord, we had a sweaty trudge across to Gare de l'est where we caught a train to Stuttgart.
We had to change at Karlsruhe but when we got on that train (which was absolutely definitely the right train, same time, same number, same destination) we found it wasn't stopping at Stuttgart. After a slightly frenzied discussion with the train staff we were assured this was the right train we just needed to get off at another stop and change to a regional train for a few stops to Stuttgart. Fortunately we had plenty of time. Another bonus was that this train went right behind where M used to live, so he enjoyed pointing out the sights.
The regional train was quite busy with commuters and families. The rest of them stood for the 10 minute journey but I sat. I thought we had reached the stop so stood to then realise my mistake. You may notice that all the seats are fold up ones. As I sat back down, I just kept on going to the floor, much to the amusement of the carriage in general. The nice cyclist helped me up, and I had to giggle myself as I hadn't been hurt (perk of the backpack catching on the seat as I went down).

A note here on what we were carrying.... back in spring, I hurt my back. We weren't sure when exactly the first damage was done, but during some DIY then gardening, it became pretty awful to the point when a day came where I couldn't sit, I could only lie down for a while, and all I could do was stand...and boy was I flagging where standing was concerned. Long story short, turned out one of my disks had squidged out, and a bit had broken off and was pressing on a nerve. In the month and a bit before we set off, I was regularly at the chiropractor and on some very good medication. But not able/allowed to run or carry anything heavy. Walking was good - I walked a lot. And I had a really good Osprey 18L day sack with waist and chest straps. By the time we came to go, I was feeling so much better but was still advised that I shouldn't be carrying a rucksack.
So, the girls took our 2 big old rucksacks carrying all their own stuff. And instead of M and I having something similar sized each, we bought a massive 110L holdall that could be wheeled but also carried as a rucksack and I was allowed to carry my little 18L.
I know I took a lot of clothes. It was a month away! If we were away for a week, I could create a very good capsule wardrobe and pack light...but a month! A week or so in, Bunnykins asked dryly if I was going to go the whole holiday without an outfit repeat...I will say that that wasn't the case. I probably could have done so...but anyway, in the end I wore it all apart from my running/yoga kit (sports bra, cycle shorts, and long sleeved sports top). I would probably still have brought the cycling shorts. Anyway, I maybe will go more into my outfits later π.
We arrived in Stuttgart and bought some food. We waited for the sleeper to arrive. We had booked a 6 berth couchette to use for the 4 of us. The train waited a long time at the station, it ended up leaving at least an hour late, but we weren't too bothered as we had no onward connections. The staff were pretty brusque and it was a little basic, but our spirits were high. I laid out for a while with my feet up (at the window), I just needed to elevate them. Bunnykins suddenly exclaimed in horror as someone was at the window photographing my feet! π I do wonder what he did with those photos, or maybe I should leave that thought. π§¦π¦Άπ¦Ά
Sunday 9th
It was not a good night's sleep. Between us we may have got 8hrs sleep total. I think I may have got 2hrs. The beds were very firm and slim. M and Woo had volunteered to go up top, which turned out to be the shortest beds for the longest people. At about goodness knows what hour, a whole load of people got on who had apparently never seen a sleeper car before based on how much shouting and exclaiming there was. Oh and the pillows were comically small, doll small. Like smaller than my head small.
So we all rose on Sunday morning feeling super refreshed. A very surly lady brought us breakfast of rolls, butter, and jam. We were very grateful for the idea that it was soon to be over.
The arrival into Venice was beautiful; the sky still rosy from sunrise.
Particularly after the night train experience, Venice opening up before us was magical. It was about 8:30am and we emerged into the piazza before heading off into the tangle of streets to find out apartment.
I love Venice. It is a magical place. I was just so happy to be there. The beauty of the architecture, the light on the water, flowers cascading down from a balcony. Contrasted / enhanced with the decay and clear crumbling age of the place.
We found our
flat. The owner had very kindly offered to let us check in early as there were no previous tenants the night before. The housekeeper was still inside when we arrived and we struggled to get through the door, but after a short wait that was resolved.
We were able to leave our bags, and went for a walk for half an hour while they finished cleaning.
We went back to the flat.
The flat was lovely inside too, the above was part of the downstairs common area with a door I guess you could pull your boat up to and the well was in the bin area in an open courtyard inside the building. (More pictures later). My first priority was to freshen up. A shower felt wonderful.
Our flat had a balcony off the kitchen which was wonderful. It was a cool place to sit or lean over the balcony and watch the boats come along (it was quite a busy route for gondoliers).
M and I went out for a walk to check out the local piazza and buy a few groceries from the co-op there.
(with a little photo stop)
There were also several well recommended restaurants in the piazza. We checked out the menus.
Before coming back to get the girls to come to lunch. As an aside, this was quite a nice element of this trip - the girls are now old enough and the places we stayed felt safe enough - for them to either stay behind or have a local wander on their own. That sense of personal freedom is something to relish.
Anyway, we picked a restaurant and took a seat in the shade.
It was a tasty lunch, which we followed up with the most amazing gelato from the gelato shop in the piazza (vowing to come back many times before we left).
We had already made a bit of mess, exploding all our things across the flat. But it really was a beautiful apartment with an old charm and well functioning air conditioning.
View from our bedroom:
The kitchen:
Later in the afternoon, we decided to go for a walk. In hindsight this was probably a mistake. It was so hot. It ended up being a bit of a route march with everyone feeling a bit miserable.
But we saw some sights: the Rialto Bridge
Got lost...
And saw lots more canals.
But generally just felt pretty sweaty!
It had been sunny weather back home before we left - consistently in the mid 20s for a few weeks and we knew we were heading into hot weather in Europe. I can't recall which day it was, perhaps it was when we were in the hotel in London, but I know I had seen a BBC news report of gondoliers struggling to hold their poles or something in the hot weather. The temperature in Venice was in the low 30s, and the shade of the buildings meant there wasn't too much risk of us getting burnt. But it was very humid, so the heat was oppressive. We were also already getting concerned messages from friends and family as news of the European heatwave Cerberus was filling the front pages. Once you got used to just running with sweat... indeed learned to embrace it...it was all OK really.
In the evening, 3 of team challis went to our local square for supper. Woo wondered if her calzone should be eaten more like her familiar pasties...
She also had her first taste of red wine, verdict urgh.
Monday 10th July.
M went for a run very early in the morning. During the break he went for many, I think running in Venice was one of his favourites.
We got ready and then walked out to take the vaporetto. I bought tickets on my phone but they didn't download so we just went Italian style down the no entry off ramp and walked confidently on.
We had a quick look at the Bridge of sighs and st Mark's Square. But it was already hot and busy so we went on to the Peggy Guggenheim Art Gallery.
(Woo complaining that we shouldn't be smiling infront of the bridge of sighs...though then doing so)
On the vaporetti, already sweating like mad
The Peggy Guggenheim museum has a beautiful little garden and an interesting selection of work in air conditioned comfort.
Mine and Woo's favourite:
Loves a Chagall...
We all had a wander around at our own pace before meeting up in the garden and heading out to find a place for lunch.
We had a tourist lunch on the way back (not a touch on the first day's lunch). But the air conditioning was welcome.
We stopped by a basilica on the route back (with a Titian altarpiece). Francesco Foscari.
The underside of the stairs in our apartment:
For the evening we had snacks and leftover pizza with card games on the veranda.
Later on, M and I stepped out to our local piazza for a drink. For the first time in this trip I was momentarily mistaken for an Italian. It didn't last long and despite my duolingo Italian ordering of our drinks we were soon back to been addressed in English.




The gelatteria was still open, so I had a heavenly mango sorbet and M had a cone of dark chocolate which was also incredibly good.
Tuesday 11th July
M's run:
The plan for today was to be up fairly early and catch a vaporetti to Murano (the island famous for glass making).
The Murano museum:
Then back to Venice.
We had some lunch, then in the afternoon, I had booked timed tickets for Woo and I to visit
St Mark's basilica.
This whole trip was difficult for Bunnykins. We had it planned and booked for a long time, but the reality of it and how overwhelming it would be could only be anticipated, particularly being away from all home comforts and routine. By ultra planning the trip (i.e. no spontaneous setting off to a completely different place, which might be perfect for some people's idea of train travel around Europe), we were able to give Bunnykins very clear step by step details of what would be happening and when. We tried to avoid crowds, but that is impossible to avoid totally. She had earplugs of different varieties for her noise sensitivity, and a bag where she could always have her music with her. We also booked places where it was possible to stay in and read or eat at home if that was her choice. The visit to st Mark's was one she was very happy to opt out of, which was fine. I wanted her to experience all these amazing cities, and know that travel was open to her. But not at the expense of her finding it super overwhelming and traumatic. Or at least when she was overwhelmed, to be able to give her times when she could take herself away from it and decompress.
Woo and I walked out to the basilica which is situated in Venice tourist central - st Mark's piazza. At this time of day even with the heat, thrumming with tourists, tour guides, and people selling all manner of tat (honestly - mona lisa dabbing on tea towels... I know it is painted by an Italian artist, but it resides in a whole other country!)
We pushed our way through the heat, noise, and people. Having a timed ticket was good, as we were straight in and not having to stand in the punishing sunshine. The basilica is stunning inside; covered in gold mosaic. There were a lot of people.
We were pretty fed up of the tightly packed march around after about 5 minutes. Then Woo spotted there was a museum upstairs. We went up and paid an extra €7, which was so worth it!
We found ourselves up on balconies that gave much closer and less crowded views of the mosaics. In the museum we could get really close up and find out more about all the detail.
And parts of it were air conditioned!!! πππππ
The views up here were fantastic and it was so much quieter.
Our ticket also got us out onto the balcony, which while being super sunny and hot, gave great views across the square.
We were very happy with our little excursion and made our way back, stopping at a lovely paper shop. Venice is known for it's paper marbling. We picked up some nice photo frames and a tiny (dolls house) bound book for Bunnykins.
We had very welcome showers, then three of us went out for dinner at the local pizza place.
As we finished eating we noticed
"tango action" setting up. They were a local group - why would you need to hire a village hall when it's 25deg at 9pm?
It was lovely. It felt like a very authentic experience watching the dancing and a million miles away from the chaos of st Mark's square.
Venice can be over crowded and like a tourist fly trap. But it is also very beautiful. The organised chaos or complexity of it. Layers of architectural beauty and decay. Ornate detail and crumbling facades. People and life everywhere.
As we got home and sorted out the laundry on the balcony, there was a haunting sound: a skilled violinist playing from a gondola gliding past.
I loved the place we stayed in santa croche. I loved our little square with its well stocked coop. Its choice of restaurants that actually served decent food. Its amazing bakery and gelato shop. And its evening gatherings of the local community as well as us pesky tourists.
Wednesday 12th July
We were up and ready early. We walked to the bus station, maybe 10minutes from our flat. We bought tickets to take us to the ferry terminal and caught our first bus.
We changed buses with just a short wait.
Then at the ferry terminal had a very long dusty and at times dangerous walk along the entry roads to the terminal. You certainly got the feeling they weren't used to getting many foot passengers.

We were pleased to find how spacious our cabin was. The ferry left at noon, though we had to be there from 10am. It wouldn't get into Patras until 9pm the following day.
At this time of the year, passengers were allowed to camp on deck. It would certainly be a much cheaper option, but I couldn't help feeling that there was very little that would compel me to make that choice other than not being able to afford anything else. I think some people would enjoy it, find it super romantic to sleep under the stars under warm skies. I have never been great at sleeping - I need a good bed and fortunately these were good beds.
BTW, this became my favourite travelling outfit - my silk jumpsuit (made from old sari material and sold by a lovely lady in one of Page Park's fairs). Leading to one of the tour catchphrases "always travel in silk".
M and I found a comfortable spot in one of the lounges and stayed there most of the rest of the day, just reading and watching the coast slip past.
The sunset from the rear deck was also a great way to spend some time. The local temperatures were getting hotter, but being at sea guaranteed cooling breezes. We were getting more concerned messages as
news of Cerberus ramped up, but we certainly weren't bothered by the heatwave at this point.
Thursday 13th
WOO's birthday!
We all had a bit of a sleep in until the announcement that the self service restaurant was open for breakfast.
We had a small present opening. And then a walk out on deck. The sea was much calmer than the day before (which had ben pretty flat) it was glassy.
Woo got a bit fed up of me trying to document the start of her 16th year...



We found a new spot for the day
And had some lunch in the self service restaurant (Bunnykins getting delivery service).
We arrived into Patras about 9.30pm but it was gone 10pm once we had found our way of the ship, (along with the 2 other foot passengers) across the ferry yard (no paths), and to a taxi.
M was out in a little corridor next to the bathroom. Bunnykins was getting blasted by the ac (this at first seemed a plus but she ended up sleeping in her jumper). But there were 4 beds and decent pillows and we were all just glad to get out heads down.
Friday 14th July
The hotel was on a busy modern shopping street. But we were right opposite a vacant and dilapidated building. We liked Patras, but you could certainly see plenty of this - life going on right next to something completely abandoned. Lots of buildings looked like they had been started but not finished, or just left to rot (well not rot in this dry weather).
After a great breakfast M and I walked to the station to buy our tickets. This was one of the few unbooked parts of the trip (though we knew exactly the routes we needed).
Then at 10.10am we got on the coach to Kiato. Most of it was highway. But during a harrowing bit of old coast road the guy behind started talking to us. He was Greek but had moved to the US. He had been a trump voter first time but now realised he was an idiot. He told us about the roads and the railways, and we talked about Brexit and unions and politics. It was a good journey.
At Kitao we switched to the train. And then a metro ride (getting very warm now) and a short walk, took us to our hotel:
Hotel Melia AthensWe had 2 lovely interconnecting rooms with super A/C. And up on the roof was a pool, great views, and a restaurant.
After an initial explore of the hotel we went back to the room. M decided to go for a walk, the rest of us were not up for that in the heat. This being the peak of heatwave Cerberus we were now firmly up in the mid to high 40s. Lots of friends we're messaging us asking if we were ok as the heatwave was making the news back in the UK, including the news that the
acropolis was being closed in the afternoon due to the temperatures.
Pics from Ms walk. ...
When he got back, he, Woo and I went up to the pool for a swim. It was a bit busy for Bunnykins.
We had dinner at the hotel downstairs. Then the girls went back to the room and watched some stuff on Ms laptop.
M and I went up to the rooftop bar for a drink. After a shower, the temperature and the rooftop breeze was just about enough to feel comfortable (9pm ish). That is the Acropolis in the background.
Saturday 15th July
We had booked tickets for the acropolis in advance (i.e. before leaving the UK). We had booked for 8am anyway. But given the heatwave, this was even more necessary. We we're up at 7am, had a quick breakfast in the room. We took the tube out to the acropolis stop. It was already in the high 30s but you could at least feel that the sun was lower and less fierce.
The place was already very busy. There didn't seem to be a separate way in for booked tickets, but we we're through the gates quickly enough.
It was a hot climb up to the top. The views were marvelous.
As we reached the entrance it got very squeezy.
And then we were out onto the top. It was hot, crackers hot. We all had hats and cover ups. M was carrying lots of water for us. But we were sweating like crazy and after a short while it all felt a bit much. It is amazing to be able to see a place like this, but in the crowds and heat, there was a bit of a feeling of "was it worth it?".
I was really pleased with my hat, a last minute purchase to replace my little pink bucket hat. This one was an Australian brand and had a much wider brim.
We started to head out of the place...more squeezing.
In answer to the question of was it worth it?... I think so, it would seem odd to come to Athens and not see the Acropolis. It was just a tourist experience, with plenty of downside. We did other things in Athens that I enjoyed more, but I was glad we came to see the place and to appreciate the scale. Maybe later when back in the hotel room you can think about how monumentally old and brilliant it is, at the time, you can think of little apart from -
it is too hot.
Taking a break on the descent. We had prepared well, we were all fit and healthy (my back aside), but even Woo was feeling quite dizzy and affected by the heat. We were all super red in the face.




We were all done and back to the hotel by 10am. It was hot, really hot. We had drunk plenty of water (M was caring several liters for us) we'd covered up and we'd gone early and stuck to the shade as much as possible. But it was still a toll on the body.
Back at the hotel we had a little rest and then went up to the pool when it opened at 10.30am. It was quiet with only a few swimmers. We hot a nice spot in the shade. The water was lovely to cool down in.
I was really pleased that Bunnykins joined us. The pool water felt so cooling. M said he felt like he could just feel all that heat being drawn out of him by the water.
We had a little drink in the shade before going back to the room.
M went out to get lunch for us. Greece does bakeries well. The sandwiches and cakes were great. Then he had a little afternoon wander while the rest of us slept/read/generally lolled around the lovely hotel room.

























We all went up to the roof for dinner. We had booked for 7pm but it was moved to 8pm due to the heat. They needed it to cool down before they opened the kitchens.
Sunday 16th July
We were up early again and had breakfast in the room (that M had ventured out to get from a local bakery).
We walked to the metro. This was another thing about Athens, it was hot yes, but the streets also often felt unwelcoming and challenging. We witnessed awful poverty and homelessness. I know it's a wuss and privilege thing, but being out of the hotel often felt frightening and overwhelming and I am fairly well travelled and solid.
Anyway, we took the tube back to the acropolis station.
The acropolis museum opened at 9am. We were one of the first in.
The Acropolis museum was great. A beautiful space housing countless treasures. A key purpose of it being to prove to the British that they could take very good care of their relics should the British ever deign to return the Elgin marbles (shouldn't really call them that as they aren't really Elgin's).
I loved wandering around this place and taking pictures or just being amazed by the statues and pots and jewelry and just amazing stuff that Greece seems choc full of.
Unintentional catalogue pose...
We stopped for a drink in the cafe.
Then up to the top floor to see the scale of what was pinched by the British.
M's favourite centaur headlock
Bit of sketching
We bought some baguettes on the way home (funny how each place finds a different rhythm and routine to the day) and we are lunch back in the room. We had a bit of a snooze. Then about 3.30pm we went out to the National archeology museum, which was very close to the hotel.
Bunnykins and I ripcorded earlier than the other two.
Back at the hotel I had messages from B who had been keeping an eye on the house and my plants. It was very kind of him, he was calling in fairly regularly, though hadn't really needed to water the garden pots as back home it had been tipping down. On one of his checks of the houseplants, he had been putting post on the kitchen table when he noticed a drip in the roof of the back room.
We were online a while just talking through the logistics of where to find buckets and what the problem was.
It was reassuring to know that kind of thing could be spotted. Though also very strange to think of how contrasting the weather was.
We had booked in again for the rooftop restaurant as this was a hit with all of TeamChallis.


Monday 17th July
We were up early again, 7am. We walked to our usual metro - Omonia but this time took the M1 (isap line) to Thissio.

The station at Omonia for the M1 was clearly older than the others. I liked the bright orange tiles. It had an older atmosphere and the train was covered in graffiti when it arrived. It had an aesthetic quality I was appreciating. We had to squeeze onto the train, and my initial thoughts were worrying about Bunnykins who doesn't like this sort of situation. So it took me a moment to realise that the man squeezed in next to me was acting a bit strange. He was holding his bag up in front of him (think Dracula hiding behind his Cape) and looking across at my chest (he was quite short). I had been wearing a bum bag across my body, it falls to my hip at times. I hoisted it back up becoming suspicious and could see the zips had been pulled open. At this point he goes all nonchalant and starts to look as though he's lost something on the ceiling. Another guy starts talking to me in Greek which I don't pay any attending to and then he's asking if the train is going to Piraeus station which of course he knows better than me. I hold my bag and answer "yes, we're going towards Piraeus" we arrive at the next station and they push off. It's only at this point do I say "that guy was trying to get into my bag". That's the bit I kicked myself for really: not saying unusually loudly to the rest of teamchallis (and therefore the carriage) "that man was trying to get into my bag!". But again, we think we're going to be far more slick in these situations than we end up being. He didn't take anything. And tbh I was happy to be such a mark (I know I look like a tourist). He wouldn't have found anything of interest in the part of my bag be was fishing in unless he was after tissues (used), a battery fan, sketchbook, and our tickets for the ancient monuments. But I was a little unsettled by the experience I suppose.

We had a bit of a wander around the local area trying to figure out how to get into the Agora. We'd come to visit the temple of Hephaestus and the Stoa of Attalus museum. It was great, much quieter than the acropolis. More like a park that was brimming with ancient artifacts. There were trees and monuments providing shade as you walked around. And you could get up close to it all.

On the way home we bought baguettes for lunch. There was a shop near the tube station selling the best filled baguettes. Mine had salad, chicken chunks and sliced egg, M had an omlete and fetta in his, Woo went for turkey and cheese with salad and Bunnykins had falafel and salad in hers. But it was only 10.20am when we got back so we we're straight up to the pool for it opening at 10.30am
After an afternoon just chilling in the room, we then had a picnic tea in our room. We watched an Agatha Christie film (crooked house) all cuddled together on the big bed.
M and I went up for evening cocktails...
If the weather hadn't been so crazy we could have seen a lot more of Athens. But I feel we made the best of it and I enjoyed the time to rest. The rooms were nice, a holiday can also be about doing very little and I was glad to read, snooze and catch up on my dualingo.
I wouldn't count Athens as a highlight of the trip, but I enjoyed it and felt we made the most of the situation. We had made a good choice with the hotel which felt like a sanctuary.
I loved Venice, that was a highlight. I had felt happy in Venice, very happy. And I was also pleased that my planning was resulting in us all getting a lot out of the trip. And at this point we were only a little more than a week in, already feeling like we had done and seen so much.
No comments:
Post a Comment